The welcome ever smiles, and farewell goes out sighing. ~William Shakespeare

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Lovely Bones book review

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
Published by Little, Brown & Company

I just finished reading this very upsetting story. The narrator of the book is a young dead teenager. She describes how her death affects the people who are left behind. She is in her version of heaven watching her family, her killer, the neighbours, the police and all the activities after her death. My stomache was in a knot the entire time I was reading, it was just so sad. How she died and how her family came apart is just wrenching to read. It is a very well paced novel and I read it quite quickly. I didn't care for the ending, took away from the way the story was unfolding. I hear they have made a movie of this novel. The visual representation of "The Lovely Bones" if they are at all true to the words of this novel will be unwatchable. I can't say I liked reading this book, it hurt.

No comments: